CHAI assisted living considers each admission on the following criteria:
- Voluntary Application: The applicant should desire admission and participate in the admissions process.
- Gender: CHAI serves men and women.
- Age: The minimum age of a resident is 18 years.
- Residence: Applicants must be a resident of Dallas, the DFW Metroplex, or North Texas -- with services being offered in that order. (Responsible relatives living in the area for at least a year may qualify the applicant.)
- Functional Ability Level: Applicants should have a primary diagnosis of cognitive disabilities, in the mild to severe range, and should be capable of exercising some self-care skills (dressing, bathing, toileting, etc.) They should be either self-medicating or capable of self-medicating with assistance and/or supervision. Applicants must have the ability to participate in day programs appropriate to their needs or in employment outside the home.
- Medical and/or Physical Condition: Applicants may exhibit some emotional problems, but may not be dangerous or abusive to self, others, or property. Applicants may have customary needs for medical care, but must not have other disabilities which would require major environment or staffing changes, and should be ambulatory and capable of evacuating the premises in an emergency.
- Financial Support: Families are expected to contribute financial support based on their ability to do so. CHAI serves persons of any economic circumstance. Fees for service are based on per capita cost of care. Voluntary capital contributions may be requested. Financial arrangements are made for those whose financial resources are limited.
- Completion of Application Process: Admission will not be granted until all application procedures are complete.